News and updates
October 2022: Kanji search now available
- Kanji search: As of October 2nd, 2022, it is now possible to lookup Kanji and get their Japanese and Okinawan readings if available. Data for this is pulled automatically from the English Wiktionary project. Future improvements to come. Give it a try: 苺, 食, 木, etc.
August 2022: Various website updates
It's been a long since there's been any formal update to this website. As of this month, there's quite a lot to share:
- Server migration: I made the decision to migrate this site and the framework that powers it to a more modern server infrastructure in order to improve the site's performance and solidify its security posture.
- Upgraded framework: In conjunction to the server migration, the site's framework and its libraries were also updated.
- Leveraging Cloudflare: Although small, this site gets a large amount of traffic from malicious bots attempting to compromise it. I've made the decision to move the site behind Cloudlfare to try to reduce such traffic.
- Removal of legacy forum: The forum has been removed as it had not received any new posts in several years and the software that powered it was no longer supported. An archive of its content can be found on the Wayback Machine.
- Promotion of Reddit as alternative: You will now notice that JLect promotes Reddit in many places. It is currently the most active and accessible online community with specialized subreddits for learning Japanese (/r/learnjapanese), discussing the Japonic languages (/r/japonic), and talking about linguistics in general (/r/linguistics).
- Search Okinawan: JLect now integrates with the 沖縄語辞典 データ集 Okinawago jiten dēta-shū (Okinawan Dictionary Data Collection) (© CC BY-SA 4.0), published by the National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics. To try it out, search for an Okinawan word or a Japanese word to get results. Filter must be set to either All or any of the Ryukyuan filters in order to get results. Also note that it is currently not possible to search this dataset with English words; only Okinawan or Japanese.
- Word of the Day: The home page now features a new word of the day block!
- Removed Kanji and Names tabs: These tabs were removed as the functionality had not been implemented and in order to avoid confusing users.
- Fixed Resources links: Many of the links under the Resources page had been broken for a while. They've now all been verified and updated, and many new ones have also been added.